Origin of SMI
Our Congregation of the “Catechist Sisters of Mary Immaculate Help of Christians”, commonly known as Sisters of Mary Immaculate (SMI) was founded by Bishop Louis LaRavoire Morrow, SDB, fourth Bishop of Krishnagar, West Bengal, India. It was founded with the purpose of Evangelization and Catechesis through home visitation and village apostolate with the motto, “To love God and help others to love God.”
Responding to the pressing needs of the time, and especially to meet the pastoral demands of his diocese of Krishnagar Bishop Morrow founded our congregation. He clearly saw the necessity of educated religious women to work among the women of his diocese as priests could not reach out to the women easily in their homes. He wanted a group of sisters to visit homes in towns and villages. God in his own time raised our congregation on 12 December 1948 on the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, a day dear to our Father Founder. Mother Mary was given to us as our model, therefore the name, Sisters of Mary Immaculate, officially known as Catechist Sisters of Mary Immaculate, Help of Christians.
Our Mother House
Our first house - the Mother House and Novitiate , a tin roofed house was blessed on 30 June, 1950 by our Father Founder, which served the needs of the sisters and novices till April 1991. Later it was demolished and rebuilt.