Our Congregation of the “Catechist Sisters of Mary Immaculate Help of Christians”, commonly known as Sisters of Mary Immaculate (SMI) was founded by Bishop Louis LaRavoire Morrow, SDB, fourth Bishop of Krishnagar, West Bengal, India. It was founded with the purpose of Evangelization and Catechesis through home visitation and village apostolate with the motto, “To love God and help others to love God.”
Responding to the pressing needs of the time, and especially to meet the pastoral demands of his diocese of Krishnagar Bishop Morrow founded our congregation. He clearly saw the necessity of educated religious women to work among the women of his diocese as priests could not reach out to the women easily in their homes. He wanted a group of sisters to visit homes in towns and villages. God in his own time raised our congregation on 12 December 1948 on the feast of our Lady of Guadalupe, a day dear to our Father Founder. Mother Mary was given to us as our model, therefore the name, Sisters of Mary Immaculate, officially known as Catechist Sisters of Mary Immaculate, Help of Christians.
Guwahati Province at a Glance:
Our province of Guwahati, the fifth province was erected on 24th May 2008, an event that the SM family expectantly looked forward to. We firmly believe that it was the gift of our Abba Father on the beautiful feast of our Blessed Mother, Mary Help of Christians. It was Sr Lisette Thuruthimattam, our superior general and her councillors who initiated the formation and erection of the province of Guwahati, bifurcating from Kolkatta province for easy coordination, animation and administration. At the time of erection the province consisted of eleven communities. It has now grown into fifteen communities in the states of Assam, Aruncahal Pradesh, Meghalaya and Nagaland, serving in the diocese of Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Miao, Tura and Kohima. The Provincialate is at Rukminigaon, Dispur, Guwahati.